I often tell my clients to look at every meal and ask themselves, “where is my green?”. I really want to feel good and nourish my body, and I absolutely want the same for YOU! Here is a yummy trick to getting more nutrients (and yes, it’s GREEN) into our diet. I love so many things about this recipe. Basically, we are taking a family favorite spaghetti and meatball recipe and substituting the spaghetti pasta noodles for zucchini noodles, also called zoodles. (A great quality spiralizer you will fall in love with is the KitchenAid KSM1APC Spiralizer Attachment with Peel, Core and Slice.) This brilliant move makes this traditional family dinner so much healthier. I’m always excited to see more green on my plate!
Crazy Cool, because it gets even better! The zucchini noodles can be prepared ahead of time and used for other meals, like breakfast, lunch or dinner another night.
Whether you are entertaining guests, feeding your family or looking for nourishing meals that work for you, here is a recipe to prepare.
Zoodles and Meatballs
- Your favorite red sauce and meatball recipe
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 (8 oz) zucchinis, cut into long julienne strips with a mandolin or spiralizer
- salt & pepper to taste
- Using a nonstick skillet, add oil, garlic and onions over medium heat. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add zucchini, season with salt and pepper. Cook about 1-2 minutes more.
- Divide zoodles onto your family's plates and layer with the sauce and meatballs on top.
- Add thick shreds of parmesan cheese, optional.
- ahh! Enjoy your Green!